Protecting your data is our top priority
Think people first
At Okaya, we believe that your data is your own, and we’re committed to keeping it that way.
What happens when you use Okaya?
Your data is yours: We believe that you have the right to own and control your personal data. That’s why we never sell or share your information with third parties.
Secure and reliable: We use state-of-the-art technology to keep your data safe and secure, and we’re constantly updating our systems to stay ahead of potential threats.
Transparent and accountable: We’re committed to being transparent about our data policies and practices, and we’re always willing to answer any questions you may have.
User-focused: Our priority is to make sure that you have the best possible experience when using our products and services. We work hard to create user-friendly solutions that prioritize your privacy and security.
- We follow different standards and regulations to keep our data compliant. Specifically, we consider GDPR, HIPAA, and FERPA as part of the standards we aim for.
- We believe that using GDPR standards also reinforces the privacy and security of our US based customers and their end-users.
- In certain cases where we facilitate a payment or financial transaction, we comply to PCI requirements and all the transactions are done via Stripe, which acts as our credit-card clearing house system.
The standards we follow
- HIPAA: The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 stipulates how personally identifiable information maintained by the healthcare and healthcare insurance industries should be protected from fraud and theft and addressed some limitations on healthcare insurance coverage.
- GDPR: The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) is a regulation in European law on data protection and privacy. The GDPR’s primary aim is to enhance individuals’ control and rights over their personal data.
- FERPA:FERPA governs the access to educational information and records by public entities such as potential employers, publicly funded educational institutions, and foreign governments. It is particularly important as it regulates how and when parents can access their kids’ records.
How do we manage research studies
Research is a big part of our work at Okaya. When conducting research we want to make sure we:
- Preserve the participants’ privacy.
- Identify and address bias.
- Follow ethics standards.
To do so, we follow the standards put out by Internal Review Boards (IRB) at research institutions and medical facilities.